Spicy Filled Roasted Stuffed Onions
These beautiful roasted onions are filled with a delicious, spicy lamb mince. You can substitute lamb mince with beef mince if you prefer.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan oven 160°C, Gas mark 4.
- Place the onions on a chopping board and cut off the top of each onion. Use a small knife or spoon, remove the centre of each onion, keeping about2-3 layers of the onion. Finely chop the removed onion.
- Carefully trim the root end of each onion so they stand up and stand in an ovenproof dish.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the chopped onion until beginning to soften. Add the mince and cook for a further 5-7 minutes or until the mince is brown. Drain any fat or liquid that may be in the pan. Return the mince and onion to the pan.
- Add the spice and seasoning and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sultanas, lemon zest, herbs and feta.
- Spoon the mince filling into each onion, packing tightly.
- Pour the stock around the onions, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to cook uncovered for a further 20 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- Serve the roasted onions with a mixed salad and couscous.